East District Technical Officials Workshop
Judge Level 1
This is the first level of British qualification. It encompasses the role and duties of a Timekeeper, Chief Timekeeper and Inspector of Turns.
The minimum age to start training is 15 years. Candidates will be required to undertake an online instruction and assessment module, and gain practical experience working on the poolside with a mentor. A course workbook is provided for completion.
The online course can be accessed at http://www.swimming.org/ios/course/3143 and is still available during the Covid restrictions. East District will pay the course fee and guidence on the process is available here
There is no final assessment or examination. Upon qualification candidates will be attributed with the qualification Judge Level 1 on the British Swimming Database and will be enrolled as a Licensed Official.
Further information can be obtained from
AOE Operator training
Got a technical mind?
Like problem solving?
Looking to get a little more involved?
Then working behind the scenes may be for you. You would be part of the team that ensures the times of all competitors are received correctly.
Volunteers for this role require a range of technical knowledge and have preferably a good understanding of the swimming discipline, IT and strong problem-solving skills are an advantage to these roles.
We are currently seeking volunteers who would like to undertake training as AOE operators and on successful completion of which candidates will have
· Knowledge of the components and functions of the AOE system in order to assist in fault-finding during operation and start up.
· Knowledge of all connections necessary for the successful operation of the equipment with the ability to set up the equipment and, dismantle, dry and store appropriately at the end of the gala.
· Demonstrate an understanding of the FINA rules regarding the use of AOE equipment.
· Be able to download information from the Meet Management and set up a session when standing alone (operating without Meet Management).
All applicants for training and assessment as AOE operators must have:
Ø Completed a Timekeeper course and all related poolside duties
Ø Be conversant with the operation of a PC under a Windows environment
It is desirable that the applicant is a Recorder or willing to undertake Recorder training during the AOE practical training period
Initial familiarisations sessions will be available at our designated training venue the Mercat Gait Centre, Prestonpans, to prospective applicants by prior arrangement only. These will encompass the installation and removal of the system along with its operation. Most of the practical training sessions will also be held at the Mercat Gait Centre.
The role requires volunteers to be able to;
* Attend at least 1 hour before warm up and remain 1 hour after the conclusion of a meet.
* Undertake manual handling of equipment into and out of the pool along with fitting cabling and equipment.
If you are interested please contact Alistair Shields, East District STO convenor,
, to arrange a familiarisation session where the training programme will be explained.